Meet the Masters

On Monday, September 25 Mrs. Roach’s second grade students took a trip back to the early 20th century to experience the work of a famous artist, Grant Wood, thanks to our Meet the Masters art program. During the program, students got to learn about the artist’s life and works through a comprehensive slideshow. After the slideshow, the students got a hands-on learning experience by studying how and attempting to draw and paint the unique artistic style they learned in the slideshow.

Grant Wood lived from 1891 to 1942 and was a prolific American painter that was known for his paintings about the rural American Midwest. He was born in Anamosa, Iowa and died in Iowa City Iowa. He lived most of his boyhood days in Cedar Rapids and studied the art styles of Impressionism and Post-Impressionism; ultimately though, he drew inspiration from artist Jan van Eyck perfect his Impressionist technique. Some of his most notable paintings are American Gothic and Young Corn, the painting the students tried to emulate last week.

We got to see the creative process live in Mrs. Roach’s second grade classroom on how to make a Grant Wood painting. The second graders were trying to paint Grant Wood’s “Young Corn” painting. We saw that the foundation of the painting was very simple: just a horizon line and a few other lines to help create a general shape; but as simple as it seemed at the time, this was key in creating a nice looking re-creation. To color in their painting, the students used green, brown, and yellow pastel crayons. In addition, they used different tools and techniques to help them draw otherwise hard-to-do patterns like texture mats and used a piece of blue paper for the sky in their painting. They also used a sponge tool to help create the leaves on their trees, dabbing the green and yellow paint around the bare trunks. Along with the kids painting, there was peaceful piano music playing in the background. As much as we enjoyed watching them create their masterpieces, the second graders seemed to enjoy it as well. One second grader said that they liked to Meet the Masters because he could color, paint, and create different kinds of patterns. Another second grader said they enjoyed Meet the Masters cause she could paint. All in all, it was really cool to see Meet the Masters aiding children to unlock their creative capabilities and helping them appreciate the joy in painting and creating art. Meet the Masters is possible thanks to our PTSA.

• Meet the Masters

K-2

The 1st Grade Field Trip to Click-Clack-Moo

• Meet the Masters

K-2

Kindergarten Visits the Farm!

• Meet the Masters

3-5

Elementary Students Compete in the Science Fair

• Meet the Masters

3-5

Spring Book Fair

• Meet the Masters

3-5

McPherson Practices for Foundation Games

• Meet the Masters

K-2

Kindergarten Mails Home

• Meet the Masters

3-5

McPherson Leadership Spearheads Pennies for Patients

• Meet the Masters

3-5

Valentine Grams Brighten Valentine’s Day!

• Meet the Masters

3-5

McPherson Students Learn Chess

• Meet the Masters

3-5

McPherson Earth Lab Teaches More than Science

Meet the Masters