Earthquake Safety

Back to Article
Back to Article

Earthquake Safety

McPherson Students Practice Earthquake Safety

Andrew Lim

Andrew Lim

Andrew Lim

Andrew Lim and Fernando Morales

On August 28 at 1:15, McPherson Magnet students conducted an earthquake drill.  Students started the drill off by ducking and covering under the desks. They stayed there until it was announced that the earthquake has stopped. Students lined up and walked towards the grass field behind the campus and lined up according to class or homeroom. They stayed there until it was safe to head back into the campus. In a real situation this is exactly how students are expected to react and do.

Practicing and planning a drill at home is a good idea because it’s hard to predict when an earthquake is going to happen. When a situation does happen at home first thing you must do is stay under a solid surface, for example, a table. Using a table is probably the most ideal thing to stay under since they are built long and solid. Beware of your surroundings, like shelves and other furniture that are not stable and may fall over. While under your table or another solid surface, cover yourself with one hand and hold on to a the object you are under with another. Once that you are sure that the shaking has stopped find the nearest exit from your home or building you are in.

If in any situation where you are currently driving a car slow down first and stop in a clear area. Another situation is when an earthquake happens while you are asleep. When this happens try to stay under something soft and hold on while protecting your head with a pillow.

Other things that you should remember:    

• Stay away from windows when in a high building.
  • When outside stay in a clear spot away from trees, lampposts, and buildings.
  • To ensure parts of your home are sturdy consider bolting shelves or bookcases onto the wall if possible.
  • In case the is no food, keep canned food or dried food in an accessible area and have an up to date first aid kit ready if there are any injuries. Keep at least 3 gallons of water per person.
  • Always know how to shut off water and gas to prevent leaking or flooding within the house.

Earthquakes can happen at any time. They are mostly common around the ring of fire. So states like California on the Pacific coasts are known to having lots of earthquakes. One of the most devastating earthquakes happened in San Francisco, California on April 18, 1906 at 5:12 a.m. Only 20-25 seconds later the violent shaking started in the central point San Francisco lasting about 45-60 seconds. It was felt in southern parts of Oregon, some parts of Nevada and even all the way to Los Angeles. The earthquake and fires killed an estimated 3,000 people and left half of San Francisco’s 400,000 residents homeless. The damage caused by the earthquake costs about $24 million dollar and the fire caused $150 million dollars to repair in terms of 1906 dollars.