McPherson Shining Stars

8th Grade Visits Nixon Presidential Library

Back to Article
Back to Article

Owen Smith and Jaden Esparza

On April 18th, the 8th graders took a field trip to the Nixon Library. It was a great trip that everyone enjoyed and some people are even looking forward to going back with their families. The trip taught us all about President Nixon and what he has done for our country. He was a great president but like any normal human, he had his ups and downs.

Richard Nixon was an American politician who served as the 37th president of the United States from 1969 to 1974. President Nixon was the first president to resign from office. He had previously served as the 36th vice president of the United States from 1953 to 1961. Nixon was born in Yorba Linda California. After completing his undergraduate degree studies at Whittier College. He then went to Duke University to study the law in 1937 and returned to California to practice law. Nixon was elected into the House of Representatives in 1946 and the Senate in 1950. Nixon ended American involvement in the war of Vietnam and ended the military draft. Here are some things that students had to say from the visit. Jay Snyder said, “ it’s pretty crazy that he did all of this stuff for our country in a short amount of time.” Sam Astor said,” I think that it’s cool that he really was a great president.”

The inside of the Nixon library was just crazy. It was just like a full replica of the White House. It had the ballroom, oval office, and the real helicopter that Nixon flew on while he was the president. It also had the house that he grew up in with all of his siblings. It was a very small house that was two stories. I just thought that it was so amazing because it was so old and it was mostly all original. We learned that President Nixon has his funeral held at the library right next to his house.

All in all, it was an amazing field trip that we enjoyed.  

About the Writers
Owen Smith, Staff Writer

Hello fellow children. I am an 8th grader that goes to McPherson. I have three siblings and I am one of the middle children. I also have two dogs. I play...

Jaden Esparza, Staff Writer

Hello, my name is Jaden Esparza and I am 14 years old and an 8th-grade student at McPherson. I am also part of the Journalism team here at McPherson Magnet...

• 8th Grade Visits Nixon Presidential Library

6-8

7th grade visit to Astro Camp

6-8

Dangers of Vaping

6-8

8th Grade Visits El Modena High

6-8

8th Grade Visits Museum of Tolerance

6-8

McPherson Students Win OUSD Spelling Bee

6-8

News Channel LA36 Visits McPherson Journalism

6-8

Middle School Science Fair

• 6-8

McPherson 6/7 Grade Volleyball Falls to Portola

6-8

6th Grade Meets the Masters

6-8

Chess Tournament Crowns King