3rd Graders Visit Bolsa Chica Wetlands

May 3, 2019

On April 22, 2019, 3rd-grade students from Mr. Miller’s, Mrs. Robertson’s and Vanderwall, and Mrs. Johnson’s class from McPherson Magnet School visited the Bolsa Chica Wetlands in Huntington Beach California. There they were given a tour on what the area was about. There the tours that were given took the students through a tour through the Bolsa Chica Wetlands where they had an opportunity to learn about the environment around them. There they saw many things on their tours such as different types of plants or animals and were able to see coyote scat. There were many other parts of the wetlands they learned about including how the present day environment is affecting it or how the animals that lived there acted.

The kids also had the opportunity to meet some of these animals that they saw there such as a corn snake. The other parts of the wetlands they learned about were how they should recycle their plastics otherwise it would affect the environment. They were also taught about the conservation of the world and to be aware of pollution. Many of the kids were able to also participate in other activities while at the wetlands.

We interviewed two third grade students from Mrs. Robertson’s and Mrs. Vanderwall’s class about their experience at the Bolsa Chica Wetlands. We interviewed one student named     and asked him what he learned he said: “I learned how do not put your recyclable stuff in the trash.” We then asked him what he saw and he said: “I saw a river and we went hiking.” We then asked him if he liked the field trip and why and he said: “I liked it a lot because it was very cool.” The next student we interviewed named Aaron Lim had this to say about his experience at the Bolsa Chica Wetlands. “We learned about how the water pollutes and we saw lots of things. I got to touch a rattlesnake and it was fine over there at Bolsa Chica. It was kinda a little cold, but it was fine.” The third graders seemed to have enjoyed the field and learned a lot from the wetlands.