McPherson Brings Awareness about Type 1 Diabetes by Wearing Blue

Kevin Vu and Matthew Mendez

On November 7th, 2018, McPherson acknowledged type 1 diabetes by wearing blue attire to support type one diabetes. As a diabetic student, Aimee Taylor put it, “Type 1 diabetes is a condition that the pancreas produces little to nothing insulin. It breaks down carbohydrates into blood glucose (blood sugar), in which that prevents the body to receive the insulin to get the glucose (sugar) from the bloodstream into the cells of the body. This disease is commonly found in children ages 0 – 18.”

On November 25, 2015, when Aimee was nine, she was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Even though treatment helps, this condition cannot be cured. People who have it have to watch their blood sugar, in order for people with type 1 diabetes to know their blood sugar, they always have to do a blood test to check their sugar. Some symptoms of this condition are increased thirst, frequent urination, hunger, fatigue, and blurred vision. Studies show that more adults have it than children, but most kids get it. Every year, they’re 200,000 cases of type 1 diabetes in the U.S., with a lot more upcoming cases in the future. “If you’re confused why I have these on my thighs, don’t be shy to ask, it might help you learn more about type 1 diabetes,” Aimee said.

Kevin Vu, Staff Writer

Hi, my name is Kevin Vu and I am 12 years old. I love to play basketball and hockey in my backyard, so I don’t play in a league. I learned how to play...

Matthew Mendez, Staff Writer

Hi, my name is Matthew Mendez. I am 12 years old and I have a dog named Penelope. I play hockey on a Peewee AA team. Hockey is my favorite sport.  Some...