McPherson Robotics Takes 1st Place in California

Brian Houl and Daryl Vu

On Saturday, May 2018, the Robotics Competition was held at University High School. The McPherson Magnet School Robotics Club competed against other schools with robots to solve problems and obstacles. McPherson’s Robotics Club is made up of seventh and eighth graders and is taught by Mrs. Marzolo. They use robots that they built and a controller to move the robot around to get around the obstacles. They also program the robots with code to control and tell the robot where to move and what to do. The students got time before the competition to practice and make sure their robots and code were working properly. McPherson Magnet got placed first in the Robotics Competition and the students definitely worked hard to get first place. Congratulations to all the Robotics students and teachers who participated in the competition.

We interviewed students who participated in the Robotics Competition and asked them questions. The first student we interviewed about the Robotics Competition was a seventh grader named Andrew Brunner. Our first question was what they did at the robotics competition. He said “We signed up and waited for Mrs. Marzolo. We did a lot of different competitions, they gave us a bunch of different challenges that we had to solve and we had some practice time and then we did the competitions. Our second questions was what were some of the challenges. He said “The challenges were like move this bot to another spot while not touching this one area.” Our third question was how did you get the robot to move. He answered “We used code that we learned in class.” We also asked three eighth grade students named Nathan Nguyen, Yomal Perera, and William Bennett about the Robotics Competition. Our first question was what they did at the competition. William said “We coded robots to complete challenges on a mat.” Nathan said “We had ten problems to do it.” Our second question was what the challenges were and what they did with the robots. Yomal answered “Well first we look at the challenge and then we brainstorm a way to solve it and then we go back to our program and then we can program what it wants given the conditions and then we can program what to do.” Our last question was what program they used to code the robots. Yomal said “We use ChIDE for all the programming.” The McPherson Magnet School Robotics students told us a lot about the robots they use, the code that they create and put into the robot, and what they did at the competition.

The McPherson Magnet School students in the Robotics Competition used robots an code to solve problems which made them think about what they had to do and their every move. They also had to correctly apply the code into the robot and to the scenario and problem that they had to solve. By doing this properly they beat all the other Middle Schools their to take first place at the competition. Congratulations to the students and teacher who put in the effort into the robotics competition.

Brian Houl, Staff Writer

Hi, I'm Brian Houl. I'm 14 and I live with my family of four. I'm in the eighth grade at McPherson Magnet School. I like to play video games and hang out...

• McPherson Robotics Takes 1st Place in California

6-8

Chess Tournament Crowns King

6-8

6th Graders Explore Egypt

6-8

McPherson 8th Grade Flag Football Wins Opener

6-8

Eighth Grade Visits Catalina

6-8

Eighth Grade and First Grade Buddy Up

3-5

Marathon Club Goes the Distance

• 6-8

Phoenix House

6-8

6th-Graders Roar and Snore at San Diego Zoo

6-8

Girls Lose Season Finale

6-8

Civil War Cannon Fires Up Meteor History