McPherson Shining Stars

McPherson Cell Phone Policy

Back to Article
Back to Article

McPherson Cell Phone Policy

Jason Trumbo is holding his IPhone over his backpack

Daryl Vu

Daryl Vu

Daryl Vu

Andrew Lim, Staff Writer

One of the most important things you can do during school as a student is to focus on the material being taught and make sure you pay attention to what the teacher is teaching. Quite recently, students have been having many issues with using their cell phones during school hours. This is why Mr. Erven decided to brush up on the Cell Phone Policy, already in the McPherson handbook, to remind students about the school’s rules on cell phones.

Cell phones have always had to be off during the school day as Mr. Erven said, but he made sure to do a quick briefing in the cafeteria with the middle school students to make sure they know the rules. During his assembly, Mr. Erven summed up the Cell Phone Policy in a sentence, “Cell phones must be zipped and inside your backpack, they can’t be in your pockets or on your person at all.”  That is the Cell Phone Policy in a nutshell, but of course, there is much more to it than that.

When I asked Mr. Erven what were some reasons to revisit the Cell Phone Policy, he said,  “We had a lot of issues with students taking pictures and posting them on social media and that can’t be happening during the school day.” This action is definitely not allowed since Mr. Erven mentioned in his assembly that students should feel safe and secure when going to school. Mr. Erven said having a cell phone out,”Distracts from the educational environment.” He also added that students already have laptops and they really don’t need the additional technology.

Mr. Erven wants every student in McPherson to follow the Cell Phone Policy or there will be consequences like a meeting with parents, community service, and possibly a permanent suspension from attending McPherson Magnet, so remember to keep your cell phone turned off and zipped up in your backpack while on campus.

About the Contributors
Andrew Lim, Staff Writer

My name is Andrew Lim and I’m an 8th grader at McPherson. This year is my last year and I hope to make it the best in Journalism. I enjoy sitting around...

Daryl Vu, Staff Writer

My name is Daryl. I'm the second child in my family. I have an older brother and younger sister. I like to bike and run with my family. I attend mass every...

• McPherson Cell Phone Policy

3-5

McPherson Elementary Science Fair

• McPherson Cell Phone Policy

3-5

Character Matters at McPherson

• McPherson Cell Phone Policy

6-8

8th Grade Visits Museum of Tolerance

• McPherson Cell Phone Policy

McPherson News

February STEM Awards

• McPherson Cell Phone Policy

6-8

McPherson Students Win OUSD Spelling Bee

• McPherson Cell Phone Policy

6-8

News Channel LA36 Visits McPherson Journalism

• McPherson Cell Phone Policy

6-8

Middle School Science Fair

• McPherson Cell Phone Policy

6-8

6th Grade Meets the Masters

• McPherson Cell Phone Policy

McPherson News

Avid Goes to UCI

• McPherson Cell Phone Policy

McPherson News

Operation Santa Claus Comes to McPherson