McPherson Recycles to Save Planet

Back to Article
Back to Article

McPherson Recycles to Save Planet

McPherson leadership students lead our recycling program.

Jay Turner

Jay Turner

Jay Turner

Kirstin Williams, Staff Writer

McPherson’s leadership class has been collecting recyclables to help the planet and make money for different activities at our school such as Fun Fridays and middle school dances. In order to promote recycling, every classroom has a blue recycling bin to collect plastic bottles and aluminum cans. Every week leadership students go out and collect all of the recyclables from the classrooms.

“We recycle to take care of the planet,” Mrs. Palucki, the leadership teacher, said. “We want to prevent all of the bottles and cans from winding up in the trash. We all need to do our part to help keep the planet clean.”

Keeping the planet clean is one of Leadership’s goals. According to a June 2017 story in National Geographic, 91% of plastic isn’t recycled. A 2015 study by the University of Georgia said that “8 million metric tons of plastic ends up in the oceans every day. That is the equivalent of five grocery bags of plastic trash for every foot of coastline around the globe.” McPherson leadership is trying to do its part and make a difference.

There are a couple things McPherson students can do to be part of the solution. You can bring a refillable water bottle and fill it at the water bottle station in the quad instead of using disposable water bottles or aluminum cans. If you do bring a plastic water bottle or aluminum can make sure to put it in your classroom’s blue recycling bin. Plastic takes more than 400 years to degrade so it’s important to minimize its use and to reuse it as much as possible.