Mrs. Andrade Voted McPherson Teacher of the Year

Autumn Ward, Logan McDonald

Every year, McPherson has an event where the staff of the school vote who they think was the best teacher of the year. This year the teacher of the year award went to Mrs. Andrade who won because she is a great elementary STEM lab teacher. STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math, which is a focus at McPherson Magnet School. The STEM lab is a program where students get to learn more about these subjects. In order to teach about STEM you need to have at least some knowledge about it yourself, as well as being able to work well with kids and explain why things happen as they do. We believe that STEM is a very important class for students to have so that in the future, they will have an opportunity that not many others will have.

We interviewed Mrs. Andrade about how she won, and what she did to have this accomplishment. The first question that we asked was what was the most exciting thing she has done in the STEM lab?

“There’s so much learning that goes on every week.  Each grade level learns about something different-6th graders are experts at designing and modeling, 5th graders are making great progress with robotics.  4th graders are learning about the brain. 3rd graders are working with the VEX kits to build machines. 2nd graders are coding. 1st graders are learning about plants and animals and their adaptations.  And kinder students are learning about pushes and pulls.  It’s great!””

We also asked what her favorite grade to work with was. “I like when students come into the lab focused and ready to solve problems.  We need to learn how to collaborate and work with a team-every minute counts!  As a former elementary teacher, I enjoyed teaching that age, but now I have a chance to teach all ages.  I know for sure I have the best career in the world!”

• Mrs. Andrade Voted McPherson Teacher of the Year

3-5

McPherson Students Learn Chess

3-5

McPherson Earth Lab Teaches More than Science

3-5

McPherson Students Compete in the Science Fair

3-5

Google Augmented Reality come to McPherson

3-5

5th Grade Explores Griffith Observatory

3-5

3rd and 4th Grade Assembly

3-5

Mrs. Denenny’s Students Head to Griffith Park

• 3-5

Fifth Grade Field Trip To Reserve At Mission Viejo

3-5

Students Learn STEM with Mrs. Andrade

3-5

McPherson Laces up for a Skate Party!