McPherson Students Participate in the Hour of Code

From December 4, 2017 to December 8, 2017, McPherson Magnet school participated in the Hour of Code hosted on code.org. The students started on code.org which is an interactive coding website designed to be able to teach kids ranging from kindergarten up to college. The many activities on the website have interactive systems which guides the student through the entire activity in a descriptive way.

Activities range from the simplest drawing programs to the coding language called Python which has been taught to 7th graders. Each one has a friendly interface using block code until you get into the Python which you must type with a keyboard. Many students love the idea of learning to code and create video games. These activities are usually done in PLTW with Mrs. Truong and Mrs. Andrade.

7th grader Ryan Lemons said, “I like that it challenges your mind and makes you more focused.” Andrew Brunner, both 7th grade students,  say, “It’s very educational and shows you how to code and it also has Minecraft activities along with many other varieties of games to code that make it interesting.” Logan McDonald said, ”Hour of code is interesting because you get to make your own coding on games like Minecraft and Star Wars which make it more interesting. It can help you help because you can get a job that has coding.” However, coding isn’t for everyone. Student Juliet Otellio said, “Hour of code is sort of boring but some of the games are fun.”

Elementary students enjoyed coding with block coding where they have a selection from an artist type activity all the way to a more advanced game creations like Minecraft and Star Wars. For upper grades in Mrs. Truong’s Project Lead The Way class the 7th graders worked on Python..

While the guidelines on each project are descriptive, each is set to challenge the mind so the students are able to fix code and problem solve. When there is a problem it will show the coder what the problem may be. Afterwards they must attempt to fix the problem which may be shown. If you cannot succeed in fixing the code, Python will give you  hints and codes if you don’t get them right after a while.

The hour of code, which is a yearly event, was a hit at McPherson in all grades and it was a great opportunity to learn code for their future.

Andrew Lim, Staff Writer

My name is Andrew Lim and I’m an 8th grader at McPherson. This year is my last year and I hope to make it the best in Journalism. I enjoy sitting around...

Fernando Morales, Staff Writer

I am a big fan of FC Barcelona. This is my first year doing the news.  One of my most favorite place to go is to Knott's Berry Farm. My favorite restaurant...

• McPherson Students Participate in the Hour of Code

6-8

Eighth Grade Visits Catalina

Activities

McPherson Students Mismatch on Clash Day

Activities

Leadership at the Street Fair

3-5

Marathon Club Goes the Distance

3-5

Robotics Club

Activities

May the 4th Be With You Skate Party

Activities

19th Annual Father’s Club Camp Out

3-5

4th Grade Field Trip To Irvine Park

6-8

7th Grade Visits Astro Camp

3-5

Spring Book Fair