Middle School Tackles Missing Assignments

Back to Article
Back to Article

Efrain Chopin, Staff Writer

This year, McPherson has begun passing out Missing Assignment slips to middle school students who don’t turn in their work on time. A homework slip is used to inform parents that students had a missing assignment. It has three pages: a white copy for the parent, a yellow copy for the office and a pink one for the teacher. Students earn a missing assignment slip whenever they do not turn in their work. When a student receives one they fill it out say what they didn’t turn in and then take the white copy home for their parents to sign it. An office clerical collects the yellow copy and the school calls parents to let them know their child is missing an assignment. Teachers keep the pink copy for their records. The next morning before school, the student brings back the finished work along with the signed homework slip and turns it into the office. Students who don’t turn in both the completed work and the signed parent slip get lunch detention where they work on the missing assignment. 

The homework slips are very useful and they are used to inform parents and student that they have a missing assignment. Last year there weren’t homework slips and fewer people turned in their homework because there were no consequences for missing homework besides a bad grade. The goal of the program is to encourage students to do their work and keep their parents informed on their progress in school.